Join Our Team
Designer, Tech Systems
Aspyr Media, Inc. got its start in Austin, TX by bringing the biggest PC gaming franchises such as Call of Duty, Sid Meier’s Civilization and Star Wars to Mac.
Today, Aspyr finds the world’s best games and connects them to new audiences on all platforms. Aspyr brings best-in-class engineering, production and publishing teams to quickly broaden the reach of the industry’s best gaming experiences
Join the studio as we grow and work with some of the biggest studios in the world bringing different genres and games to market.
As Tech System Designer at Aspyr, you are responsible for the design and implementation of systems, objectives, and encounters in a AAA game.
If you have experience with creating amazing technical systems, objectives, and encounters, and love the challenge, we’d like to hear from you.
- Promote collaboration amongst designers, programmers and directors.
- Objectively breakdown system design principles and provide feedback when appropriate.
- Work with the Lead Designer and Directors to ensure all gameplay systems meet the project’s needs.
- Employ rapid prototypes and regular onscreen deliverables of all systems from paper to ship.
- Coordinate closely with AI programmers and LD’s to communicate the goals and specific needs of various combat and gameplay systems and provide regular updates to all related systems.
- Under minimal supervision, design, adapt and scope features to the needs of production, the technical constraints of the project and the overall gameplay goals.
- Evaluate and initiate processes and features needed to improve and streamline any gameplay systems related production.
- Maintain, test and iterate system-based features from concept phase to final tuning for an award winning game.
- Document game mechanics and features quickly, clearly and concisely in a provided specification format to serve as a resource for other designers in the studio to understand the various design concepts and the decisions made that support them.
- 5+ years of game design experience.
- At least 2 AAA projects shipped for current gen consoles in a systems design capacity.
- Clear analytical thinker with a proven ability to break gameplay design down into regular, reusable systems and articulate and document them.
- Understanding of gameplay system constraints as well as an understanding of game engine architecture and custom toolsets.
- Able to deliver assets within the confines of real time engine constraints and programming demand.
- Experience tuning particular game systems required for difficulty, pacing and balance.
- Ability to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and design problem solving in engine.
- Active interest in current industry trends as it relates to game design for rpg games.
- Ability to work closely with all project disciplines to ensure clear communication, troubleshooting and efficiency.
- Excellent knowledge of game design theory and principles of what it takes to make a blockbuster title.
- Working knowledge of C++
- Understanding of Visual Layout Game Editors
- Any pre-packaged development kit experience
Aspyr Media is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.